Saint Ignatius, Montana
Saint Ignatius, Montana is a small town located in the western region of the state, in Lake County. It has a population of just under 1,000 people and it’s surrounded by stunning mountain ranges. The climate is generally mild and pleasant with warm summers and cold winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Montana.
The history of Saint Ignatius dates back to the early 1800s when it was established as a trading post for the Flathead Indians. It quickly grew into an important hub for fur trade and later became a logging center. As the logging industry declined, agriculture became an important industry in the area. Today, Saint Ignatius is known for its ranching, farming, and outdoor recreation activities like hunting and fishing.
Politically, Saint Ignatius leans towards conservative values but also respects individual freedoms. The economy is largely based on agriculture with some tourism from visitors who come to enjoy its natural beauty or take part in outdoor activities like fishing or hunting. There are several schools in the area including a high school, elementary school, and vocational school which offer students an excellent education that prepares them for college or entering the workforce after graduation.
The most notable landmarks in Saint Ignatius are Mission Lake which offers beautiful views of the surrounding mountains as well as great fishing opportunities; St Mary’s Mission which was built in 1841; and Flathead National Forest which provides visitors with access to thousands of acres of pristine wilderness areas perfect for camping, hiking, biking and more!
Population: 788. Estimated population in July 2020: 823 (+4.4% change)
Males: 361 (45.8%), Females: 427 (54.2%)
Zip code: 59865
Median resident age: 33.2 years
Median household income: $25,682
Median house value: $75,600
Races in St. Ignatius:
- White Non-Hispanic (51.1%)
- American Indian (46.1%)
- Hispanic (4.2%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
Ancestries: German (15.6%), English (12.9%), Irish (10.3%), French (4.8%), Italian (3.7%), Norwegian (3.2%).
Elevation: 2939 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Saint Ignatius is located in the heart of the Flathead Valley, in the western part of Montana. It is a small town with a population of approximately 1,000 people. The majority of the population consists of Native American and Caucasian citizens. The median age for the population is 37 years old.
The cost of living in Saint Ignatius is considered to be lower than average for Montana. The average home price is approximately $175,000, though there are many properties available for rent at a lower rate. The median income for residents here is around $37,000 per year, which allows many people to live comfortably on their salaries despite the low cost of living. There are plenty of amenities available to residents including grocery stores, restaurants, and other services. Public transportation is also available within the city limits making it easy to get around town without having to own or maintain a vehicle.
For population 25 years and over in St. Ignatius
- High school or higher: 84.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 20.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.9%
- Unemployed: 11.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in St. Ignatius town
- Never married: 28.2%
- Now married: 49.6%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 12.7%
1.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +27 (+3.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near St. Ignatius:
- ST PATRICK HOSPITAL CORP (about 15 miles; MISSOULA, MT)
- ST LUKE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; RONAN, MT)
- ST LUKE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL-CAH (about 16 miles; RONAN, MT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to St. Ignatius:
- MISSOULA INTERNATIONAL (about 29 miles; MISSOULA, MT; Abbreviation: MSO)
- GLACIER PARK INTL (about 69 miles; KALISPELL, MT; Abbreviation: FCA)
- BERT MOONEY (about 146 miles; BUTTE, MT; Abbreviation: BTM)
Other public-use airports nearest to St. Ignatius:
- ST IGNATIUS (about 3 miles; ST IGNATIUS, MT; Abbreviation: 52S)
- RONAN (about 18 miles; RONAN, MT; Abbreviation: 7S0)
- POLSON (about 26 miles; POLSON, MT; Abbreviation: 8S1)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to St. Ignatius:
- THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA-MISSOULA (about 15 miles; MISSOULA, MT; Full-time enrollment: 11,112)
- UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO (about 183 miles; MOSCOW, ID; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
- NORTH IDAHO COLLEGE (about 187 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,988)
- LEWIS-CLARK STATE COLLEGE (about 210 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,213)
- SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 226 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 5,564)
- GONZAGA UNIVERSITY (about 232 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,860)
- SPOKANE FALLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 236 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 6,284)