Leading Watch Brands

When it comes to watches, the first country that comes to our mind is the Switzerland, right? Because some other regions of Europe are also known for their watchmaking expertise. One of them is in Germany, in the tiny town of Glashütte, far from us, of Brazil, for nearly 15 hours of flight and other 3-hour drive from Berlin. The small town lies in the region of Saxony, in the southeast of the country. It was there that the German watchmaker pole in the middle of the 19th century, when Ferdinand Adolph Lange established a factory in the city of pocket watches with only 15 employees; a milestone that defined the destiny of the city for the next century.
The opening of the factory attracted many other renowned watchmakers professionals to the city. One of them was Moritz Grossman, who, years later, he collaborated with the opening of the German school of watchmaking. Today, almost 170 years later, the city has about 7 1000 inhabitants who work primarily in the watchmaking manufacture. Behind bridges, mechanisms, a lot of detailed engineering and audacious projects is the story of a region completely ravaged by World War II.

Shortly before the end of the war, the population of the region was surprised with a surprise bombardment. The destruction of many of the factories in the region had some of the machinery that was left was saved and hidden by the population. The other devices were confiscated by the Soviet authorities.
Belonging to the origins
Lange & Söhne, one of the leading watchmaking brands in the region, had its headquarters destroyed in the last night of the war, on 8 May 1945. Already in 1948, plans for Walter Lange-great-grandson of Ferdinand Adolph Lange – were ruined by the expropriation by the Soviet Government. In 1951, a Union of the expropriated Mills was formed by seven watch shops. “After this day, the name of the Lange watches and dials made disappeared in Glashütte,” says Walter Lange.
For more than 40 years, the story of a. Lange & Söhne was drowned out by the cold war. Shortly after the fall of the Berlin wall in November 1989, Walter Lange, in partnership with Günter Blümlein, Manager of watch shops, drew up a plan to re-establish its production in Glashütte. In Lange’s account, account that everything he owned was “the vision of, once again, to draw up the best watches in the world”.
On 7 December 1990, exactly 145 years after the beginning of the work of a. Lange & Söhne by his great-grandfather, Walter recorded again the company. On 24 October 1994, the factory reiniciava your story with the presentation of four watches. Three of them had the first patent obtained by watchmaking: big date display.
The building that had housed the first steps of the company, since its origin, and was destroyed in the last days of the war, he returned to be used by the watch on a symbolic date: 7 December. The year was 2001.
Seventeen years after the presentation of the first four manufacture watches a. Lange & Söhne already had 40 calibers of own manufacturing. Nowadays, the watch is recognized for their watches have a very high standard of finish and extremely celebrated by collectors and enthusiasts around the world.
Change and return
On the other hand, the history of watchmaking Tutima shows hope and strength in maintaining its production of watches, even with all the history that marked the region of Glashütte.
Founded in 1927 by the Union of two companies dedicated to the watchmaking-a produced movements and the other rode the pieces – the Tutima Watch (which has its name derived from the Latin, meaning protected, safe), was one of the first factories in the region to produce wristwatches. Its employees were invited by its founder, the lawyer and musician Ernst Kurtz, train your skills with musical instruments, to improve their movements and improve the accuracy of your work.
The company developed, throughout its history, the 58 caliber, rectangular format-completed a few years after its foundation. And, in 1941, the caliber 59, a flyback chronograph with stop seconds additional function. In all, 34 1000 pieces were produced and equipped the watches used by the German army during the war.
But this didn’t merit the company was hit by shrapnel of combat. The destruction of the town of Glashütte in the night before the end of the war spawned consequences that would change the direction of the brand. Employees fled to the West and took with them what they could. The company would establish in the town of Memmelsdorf, and shortly after, the production would be transferred to Ganderkesee, in Northern Germany.
Staying away from its roots for more than half a century. The lack of heirs, the watchmaking of Ernst Kurtz was acquired by Delecate family, who plays the business until today. The return of the company to Glashütte just happened between 2007 and 2008, but production in the North of the country was maintained, with the manufacture of models with different identities.
Besides Tutima and a. Lange & Söhne, Glashütte houses many other watch shops, as Glashütte Original, Nomos Glashütte, Mühle-Glashütte, among others.
Curiosity: The new watches of a. Lange & Söhne were featured on day 24 October 1994, but the dates of his dials had been set to 25 day. This way, when they left in the paper the next day, the clocks would present the publication date. A. Lange & Söhne both, as several other watch shops keep the display of this default numeral for the dissemination of their watches.
When to go: From May to September we find mild temperatures, no snow, with easier access to the city.
Where to stay: By its small dimensions, the best way to stay in the region is in the city of Dresden, about 30 km away from the little girl Glashütte.
How to get: It is possible to reach Dresden via a connection in Frankfurt. Those in Berlin comes to town in about 3 hours by road.